8. Una Domenica in Sicilia

It was Mother’s Day back in NZ and I had been thinking of my family, my daughter in particular.  Mother’s Day can also be a day of remembrance.  

I also had been feeling a little sorry for myself as solo-travelling can be lonely sometimes.  Once I went down that wormhole, I had been wondering why my life had turned out the way it did.  


On my way to the port for my next adventure, I stopped in at my two favourite le pasticcerie; they were just around the corner from each other.   


I cannoli sono siciliani, the cashier said proudly, after I had picked the cioccolato one.  


Adore i cannoli, I replied.  


They are more accepting of me now, probably after my many daily visits, I think.  


I visited the other pasticceria around the corner, not wanting them to miss out, and I got a small pizza. 


Basta? 


Si, enough.  I smiled at the lady, embarrassed about my limited italiano, but it was enough to order and pay for cibo, food.


With both my purchases in my backpack, I continued walking, past the duomo where well-dressed families met and hugged. 


I missed my family.


When I eventually reached the prominade, it was 10am and already buzzing with people.  Gazebos lined the sea wall and being a domenica, Sunday, there were people selling second-hand things, most looked like antiques; but then everything here looked old and crafted.


I felt my heart swell a little as I looked at all the beautiful items, once loved and treasured.   Beautiful things! Molte cose.  If I lived here, I would fill my home only with these things, nothing new!  

I Wish I Bought This!

There was a man selling “slow food” honey with his live glass beehive on display.  Another also sold honey, as well as mead, all made on his farm nearby. 

Honey and Mead

It suddenly felt very familiar and I missed another part of my old life, bees.  Oh bees, I miss you!  Mi mancano molto le api.


It was a particularly hot start to the day so I sat down on a bench seat under the shade of a hat that belonged to mia mamma; she wouldn’t know I had it.  It was the very last thing I took from her house before I left for the airport.  I thought of her every time I wore it.

An Italian Cock

As I  was typing this, feeling all emotional, a bee landed on my knee and looked at me for a while.  It’s going to be okay, Kris.  Va bene.  


I watched as elderly couples walked past holding hands, families with young children playing with their toys, teenagers laughing and embracing; this was the Milazzo community and I had felt a part of it. 


In fact, I was no longer feeling lonely, I was feeling Italy’s love.  Tutto è amore!


Andrà tutto bene.  It’s going to be okay!


Va bene!

White-washed Panarea

An hour or so later I walked to the nearby port and joined Sandra on the boat that would take us to the islands.  She had chosen to sit at the bow of the vessel and told me there would be less wind and better views.

The stern was windy!

The excursion was to both Panarea and Stromboli islands, and it would take about an hour or so to get to Panarea Island. 


We had two hours to explore this beautiful small island with its white washed buildings.  It was simply stunning.  We decided to head to the only sandy beach and have a swim after navigating through its narrow roads.  The water wasn’t actually warm but it was so hot, it felt refreshing.  

Bellissimo!

For those too tired to walk back, there were taxis - not the car type; they wouldn’t fit in the narrow streets.  They were these electric-powered golf-cart looking vehicles that could take a few people at once.  


We decided to walk back and enjoy the fragrance of the many flowers that lined the streets and the views yonder.

 Narrow Streets

The next stop was Stromboli Island, known for its very active volcano.  


I wasn’t going to write about this because as someone who witnessed the impact of the White Island eruption recently, it beggars belief why I’d then go and visit a volcano.  

Una Cannoli 

Because Sandra was going and I wanted some company.  

Small Settlement on Stromboli

We walked up to the church and found a restaurant with fabulous sea views.  There we had white wine and arancioni before walking down to a beach on the other side with the blackest of sand that I would later spend an age trying to wash off!


Truthfully I couldn’t wait to get back on the boat and couldn’t believe some of the German passengers who chose to spend their two hours on the island walking up and down the steep mountain. 

Volcanic Rock

I looked up on the internet and read that in 2019 a tourist was killed when they were climbing the mountain and it erupted.  It’s active!

Watching the sun set

Once back on the boat we watched the sunset and this was the most beautiful sunset I had ever seen!  That was my highlight of the day!  That and the beautiful island of Panarea.


As the sky darkened, we could see the fiery red of lava explosions from the crater.  My iPhone’s camera wasn’t up to taking such distant shots, but it was incredible to witness.  

Lava Explosions

As darkness fell, the boat sped back to Milazzo, arriving at around 10pm. 


I was so exhausted after the trifecta of weekend excursions that I didn’t think about the dark streets.  


I walked hard and fast, not even stopping for the stray cats who were becoming used to me.  

Stromboli Island 

I fell straight to sleep as soon as my head hit the pillow!


Buonanotte Sicila.


You are very beautiful!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4. Milazzo, Sicily

6. Cibo

26. Heading Home Happy.